Gifted & Talented
It’s not too late to have your child tested for Gifted and Talented (G&T) program placement in the 2014-2015 school year! We offer a round of summer testing for students entering Kindergarten or Grade 1. If your child meets the criteria, you can request testing this summer. To register for testing, you must complete the Summer Request for Testing form and submit it in person to your local Enrollment Office by Friday, June 20, 2014.
Applying to G&T Programs:
The G&T application period is now closed.
New to New York City?
Students born in 2008 or 2009 who moved to New York City after the November 8th Request for Testing (RFT) deadline will be able to request testing this summer for G&T placement in the fall. Click here to download the RFT Form and Instructions .
Gifted & Talented (G&T) programs are one way the NYC Department of Education supports the needs of exceptional students. G&T programs aim to deliver accelerated, rigorous, and specialized instruction, aligned to Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS). New York City students who are entering kindergarten through 3rd grade are eligible to participate in G&T Admissions. Children must pass an assessment to be eligible to apply to G&T programs. Please use the steps below to guide you through the process:
1. Apply for testing by completing a Request For Testing (RFT) form.
2. Take the test on the test date that you are given.
3. Receive notice of eligibility in April
4. Apply to G&T programs, if eligible
There are two types of G&T programs:
1. District G&T programs are in district elementary schools. They begin in kindergarten and end in the school’s terminal grade.
2. There are also Citywide programs that equally students from all boroughs without district-based priority.
To learn more about G&T Programs in New York City public schools:
• Read the G&T handbook for details about the testing and application processes.
• Review answers to frequently asked questions about G&T assessment.
• Access other resources for families about the G&T process.
• To request an appointment to view your child’s G&T test click here .